Borough of Greencastle
Title: Part-Time Public Works Laborer
Reports To: Public Works Manager
- This is a semi-skilled, manual labor position involved with the maintenance of Borough streets, water and wastewater main line systems.
- Work, as assigned and supervised by the Public Works Manager, requires strenuous physical effort and exposure to uncomfortable surroundings and weather conditions where manual labor duties are involved.
- This employee performs a variety of maintenance duties and, once trained in standard operations, is expected to work efficiently and independently.
- The ideal candidate will be a team player, with appropriate communication skills, capable of following oral and/or written directions to complete assignments, and has interest in long-term professional development.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate a solid work ethic, including a strong commitment to safety while building, repairing and maintaining the Borough’s infrastructure.
Typical Examples of Work Performed
- Exhibits a skilled understanding of the operation of light road maintenance equipment, hand tools, and mowers.
- Operates equipment including, but not limited to, dump trucks, backhoe, front-end loader, bobcat, bobcat sweeper excavating vacuum, leaf vacuum, mainline sewer jetter, roller and sprayers, snow plows, and salt spreaders.
- Checks equipment for proper operation and performs routine preventative maintenance.
- Participates in maintenance work on streets, water and sewer mains, and service lines by performing manual labor using equipment.
- Assists with snow and ice control for parking lots, sidewalks, crosswalks and facilities of Borough owned areas.
- Performs manual labor on assigned projects such as sidewalk/curb installation and repair, patching of pot holes, and washing and cleaning of vehicles and equipment.
- Assists with the mowing of grass, cutting and trimming of trees, clearing brush, spraying weeds, and leaf collection.
- Performs other work assignments as assigned recognizing that the duties listed herein are not all inclusive of functions performed on a daily, monthly or annual basis.
Education, Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Licensing
- A high school diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED) is required.
- A valid Pennsylvania motor vehicle license with a Class C endorsement.
- Knowledge of the proper operating procedures and safety practices associated with maintenance equipment and supplies.
- Recognize operational defects of vehicles and other equipment to ensure proper repairs are performed.
- Prior experience in the public works sector is preferred.
I acknowledge that I have read the “Typical Examples of Work Performed” and “Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Licensing Stipulations” for the Administrative Receptionist position; and I certify that I can perform these functions.
(Applicant Signature) (Date)