Greencastle Area, Franklin County, Water Authority
WATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR
Water Treatment Plant Operator shall work under the direction of the Chief Water Treatment Plant Operator. This individual will assist in the daily operation and maintenance of the Moss Spring Water Treatment Plant, Main Reservoir, Well Pumping Stations, Elevated Storage Tanks, and Authority grounds. Plant Operator shall assist in performing required laboratory analysis for plant process control, as well as testing required by Federal, State, and Local agencies. The individual shall assist with the compulsory record keeping and reporting required by aforementioned agencies.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
1) Assist with the proper calibration and maintenance of laboratory and process control instrumentation.
2) Assist with cleaning, maintaining and operating of all plant process equipment including but not limited to: chemical feed pumps, raw water pumps, back-wash water pumps, plant service water pumps, waste water pumps, and all other plant process equipment.
3) Generally, oversee all Authority owned property. Works inside and outside in all types of weather under physical demands.
4) Take water distribution samples. Perform laboratory analysis following fixed procedures. Interpret findings and make process adjustments. Read charts and keep records of water usage, chemical content, process systems, and rainfall. Report unusual findings to Chief Operator or other superiors.
5) Lubricate and provide routine maintenance on equipment, making minor repairs and adjustments.
6) Perform safe operation of trucks, tractors/mowers, and other motorized equipment.
7) Maintain a secure and safe environment of facilities, grounds, and equipment; and exercise proper housekeeping practices.
8) Evaluate the inventory of supplies necessary for proper operations and notify Chief Operator in a timely manner when something needs ordered. Chemicals, lab supplies, and replacement parts are a few examples of the supplies critical for proper operations.
9) Plant Operator must work designated shifts as directed by the Chief Water Plant Operator. Additional hours may be necessary, usually on a voluntary basis, to maintain staffing requirements.
10) In temporary absence of Chief Water Plant Operator, Plant Operator may be required to assume duties and responsibilities of the Chief Operator.
11) The above list is not all inclusive of functions performed on a daily, monthly or annual basis. Plant Operator will be required to perform additional duties, as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, EDUCATION, AND LICENSING STIPULATIONS:
1) A valid motor vehicle license is required, preferably issued by the state of Pennsylvania.
2) At minimum, a High School diploma or General Education diploma is required.
3) Understanding of mechanical and electrical principles of equipment operation is required.
4) Experience and/or ability to learn operation of mechanical and electrical equipment used in the treatment and pumping of water. Knowledge of the methods, practices, procedures, and routine repair and maintenance of water purification equipment used in the treatment of water.
5) Ability to operate plant equipment and to make routine equipment repairs, to read/record meter and gauge readings accurately. Clear and concise records must be maintained.
6) Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations and algebraic procedures for lab and operational purposes.
7) Ability to understand/follow oral and written instructions; to show initiative, resourcefulness, and good professional judgment.
8) Ability to accurately perform required water quality tests.
9) Ability to maintain a good work relationship with PA DEP, co-workers, plant neighbors, and others you encounter on the job.
10) Physical ability and willingness to enter confined spaces, lift up to 50 lbs., and work under harsh environmental conditions.
11) Use of Microsoft Word and Excel as well as other associated computer programs is required.
12) Plant Operator must possess/maintain a Pennsylvania State Class B – Subclass 1, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Water Treatment Plant Operator’s license.
I acknowledge that I have read the “Typical Examples of Work Performed” and “Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Licensing Stipulations” for the Water Treatment Plant Operator position; and I certify that I can perform these functions.
**Management has the right to add or change these duties of the position at any time*